Why Project managers will need GenAI?
It's time to admit that traditional project management methods and tools may not be sufficient to cope with the increasing complexity and uncertainty of projects in the future. Project managers need a bunch of solutions to simplify their jobs and to shift their management jobs to a higher level. Many of them are successful by leveraging the power of artificial intelligence (AI) to improve delivery and outcomes.
GenAI, or generative artificial intelligence, is a type of AI that can create new and realistic artifacts from existing data. It can produce a wide range of novel content, such as images, video, music, speech, text, software code and product designs. GenAI can also generate content based on natural language requests, making it easy to use without requiring coding skills. GenAI can be used by project managers to create various types of content for their projects, such as project documentation, communication, marketing, training, etc.
Project managers who want to stay ahead of the curve and gain a competitive edge in their field need to embrace GenAI as a strategic partner in their projects. By using GenAI wisely and effectively, project managers can improve their skills and productivity, deliver better results for their clients, and advance their career and income. Let's see how GenAI can be utilized in projects.
Applying GenAI in project management
Fig 1. Project management process. Source: Saloni Arora @ LinkedIn
The project management process is a systematic way of planning, executing, and controlling a project from start to finish. It consists of six phases that guide the project team and stakeholders through the project life cycle. The six phases are:
- Initiation phase: This is the first phase where the project idea or need is identified and evaluated. The project manager and sponsor define the project scope, objectives, deliverables, and success criteria. GenAI can generate project plans based on the project requirements, objectives, and constraints. It can also update the plans according to the progress and feedback of the project. Some AIs that serve this purpose well are Upmetrics, Viva Insights, etc,…
- Definition phase: This is the second phase where the project requirements and specifications are gathered and analyzed. GenAI can generate project documents such as proposals, contracts, specifications, manuals, etc. It can also ensure that the documents are consistent, accurate, and compliant with the standards and regulations. You can think of Perfect Doc Studio, Docupilot,... as practical solutions for this purpose.
- Designing phase: This is the third phase where the project team designs the solutions or products that will meet the project requirements and specifications. GenAI combines various tools and techniques such as prototypes, mockups, wireframes, diagrams, models, etc. to create and test the design concepts. It also documents the design specifications and obtains approval from the stakeholders. Vizcom is one of the best AI tools that could bring majesty to your table from sketches or descriptions.
- Development phase: This is the fourth phase where the project team builds or produces the solutions or products according to the design specifications. They use various methods and tools such as coding, testing, debugging, etc. to ensure the quality and functionality of the deliverables. They also monitor and control the project performance and make adjustments as needed. If your processes are related to coding, then Tabnine is absolutely useful for your team.
- Implementation phase: This is the fifth phase where the project team delivers or deploys the solutions or products to the end-users or customers. They use various activities and tools such as training, documentation, installation, configuration, etc. to ensure the smooth transition and adoption of the deliverables. They also conduct acceptance testing and obtain feedback from the stakeholders. You may have heard of Jam for code debugging, TLDV for meeting recording and transcription.
- Closing & follow-up phase: This is the sixth and final phase where the project team completes or terminates the project. They use various tasks and tools such as closing contracts, releasing resources, archiving documents, conducting lessons learned, etc. to finalize and close the project. They also evaluate the project outcomes and benefits and report on the project performance and results. Now it's at this stage and AI has been helping you a lot, I believe you do not wish AI to take all your responsibilities, right?
As a boss, you might want to check out Upmetrics and Perfect Doc Studio and see how they can turn you into a top-notch leader with insightful decisions and cutting-edge project management skills.
What AI does Rockship use?
Fig 2. Notion AI. Source: Notion
Not to be left behind, Rockship has been applying state-of-the-art tools to improve delivery of our projects and outcomes. Some of them could be:
- Smart prompting + ChatGPT: helps shorten the time to do simple tasks and repetitive scopes. We leverage ChatGPT (and some equivalent chatbots) to build ideation, generate descriptions and patterns for many critical projects at Rockship. In fact, using ChatGPT, we have mitigated the time for ideation and writing scripts from approximately 2 hours to 20 minutes. That's a huge benefit from day to day.
- Hypotenuse AI: It can create content for various purposes, such as product descriptions, blog posts, social media captions, landing pages, newsletters, etc. Another point to be mentioned is that Hypotenuse AI can provide feedback to improve content quality and performance. Hence, it can boost up the way we interact with content creation. Hypotenuse has been giving us so many ideas and viewpoints, varying from daily life topics to academic articles, saving tons of hours doing research.
- Llama_index: It is a tool that can help with project management by connecting custom data sources to large language models (LLMs). It can work with different LLMs and vector store providers. LlamaIndex can be a useful tool for project managers at Rockship who need to use LLMs for their projects.
- Notion AI: This useful tool integrated in Notion helps Business Analysts evaluate the situations and analyze related operations. At Rockship, we have utilized Notion in many aspects, from making to-do lists, organizing team process with Kanban board, to data-complicated jobs like analyzing content and feedback.
Incorporating artificial intelligence tools like ChatGPT, Hypotenuse AI, Llama_index, and Notion AI has revolutionized project management at Rockship. These tools have streamlined repetitive tasks, enhanced creativity, and improved content interactions. By harnessing the power of AI, we've saved time and focused on strategic initiatives.
Looking ahead, the collaboration between humans and AI will continue to evolve. We'll explore and implement these advanced technologies, shaping the future of project management at Rockship. With the limitless possibilities AI offers, we're at the forefront of creative innovation, creating memorable experiences for our clients and team members alike.
Project management is a challenging field that requires various skills, tools, and techniques. Generative AI is coming to remove barriers and simplify management jobs, boost up project productivity and shift the way we interact with projects to a higher level.
AI and GenAI are evolving rapidly and becoming more accessible and affordable, helping project managers improve their project management processes and outcomes. By using AI tools and platforms such as ChatGPT, Notion AI, Hypotenuse AI, etc., like we currently are at Rockship, project managers can automate and optimize some of the project management tasks, such as planning, scheduling, tracking, reporting, and collaborating.
Don’t miss this opportunity to take your project management skills to the next level with AI. Start using AI in your project management today and see the difference for yourself.